Our twenties are an adventurous and exciting time in our lives. It is the time to take risks and explore new things, but also the time when we transition into adulthood and take up new responsibilities. We already thought we were adults from the time we turned 18, but now, we actually have the responsibilities of adults. Yikes! That can be scary, especially when you are not ready for it. Some of us may start to feel lost and unsure because we got to this age, and we are not where we want to be.
Have you lost track of your goals? Do you feel lost or side-tracked from the vision you once had for your life?
Life goals can change, and most times they do. You probably had a concrete vision for your live at 18, but college can certainly change that. You go in with one major in mind and graduate with a totally different one. It’s okay to change your mind, but then you need to change your vision,
3 Simple Ways to Get Over Feeling Lost
Re-evaluate your life goals and write them down. They have probably changed since you were 18, but have you taken the time to write them down or create a vision board? It helps to visualise our goals and hold ourselves accountable for them. Holding ourselves accountable means that we should never settle for mediocrity. If you don’t like where you are in life or in your job, actively try to better the situation or leave it.
Sit in a quiet space and really re-evaluate where you are in life and where you would like to be. Make a list of what things will help you get to your goals and what you need to be doing to get there. We can feel lost because we get so overwhelmed and stressed out with our daily lives that we don’t take a moment to reassess. You might be exhausted from working day in and day out in jobs that you don’t care for just to make ends meet. In the midst of it all, you lose sight of what you truly want to do. It’s okay to temporarily work in positions that you’re not 100% passionate about, but set out a time each day to actively work towards something else. It will help you stay on track.
2. Explore New Things
Maybe you feel lost because you just don’t love what you do anymore. You were once passionate about it, but now it doesn’t bring you happiness like it once did. We grow and change as we get older so this feeling is possible, but that doesn’t mean you should settle for doing what does not make you happy. You are still so young and full of possibilities in your twenties, so find something else.
- Read – Read print, physical books and read online. There is so much information out there and it only does us a disservice to not indulge in it. Some of my favourite books are Becoming by Michelle Obama and The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
- Volunteer – A huge part of the beauty of humanity is giving. It’s so important to volunteer and you might find something that you are deeply passionate about.
- Travel – Take risks and explore a new place besides your home town. It’s important to get out of this bubble we sometimes live in, and go to different countries, see different cultures and hear different languages. One may get lost because one can get caught in the monotony of one’s environment. Change it up! Seeing life from a different perspective might give you a refreshed vision for your own life.
- Blog – Blogging is a great way to meet new people from all over the world. It’s a chance to create an online presence for yourself and express your ideas. Whether you want to make a business out of it or do it for fun, it’s a way of expression, which is always important. As a young person it is an amazing creative outlet, and I think it is worth exploring.
5. Work Hard – Success does not get handed to you in a pretty package. That package is usually the result of hard work, dedication, commitment, and focus. You have to hustle to make it happen, and trust me, the path might be strenuous but the end result will feel magnificent. Do you feel yourself getting lazy or unmotivated? Re-evaluate and get out of that. Mediocrity in my book, will not make you successful or set you apart from the rest. You have to be hungry. If you think you are working hard towards your goals then you are on the right track, but if you are in that lazy group then it’s time to hustle.
My solution to get out of feeling lost in your twenties is to allow yourself to reevaluate and redefine your passions in life, so you can indulge in a career that brings you happiness.