Emily John-Belingy is a certified hair stylist/hair care practitioner located in Point Fortin. She has over 13 years of experience in the hair industry and spent 10 years working alongside another long standing hairstylist. She is the proud owner of Naturally Kinky Curly Hair Care Haven a business started three years ago. With an educational background in Business Management, Accounts and Social Work, she was able to incorporate these areas into the successful advancement of her business. Naturally Kinky Curly Hair Care Haven is an appointment-based salon which facilitates persons with all hair textures and the sole purpose is to provide clients with quality service, healthy haircare advice and hair products that are best suited for their hair texture along with a clean and safe environment.
1. One thing your customers can really count on you for?
One thing my clients can count on me for, without a doubt, is taking on other roles besides being a hairstylist. I care about clients and so in a lot of instances they count on me to be an interpreter, therapist, listener, instructor, trendsetter and artist. I love my job and clients so I gladly take on those roles.
2. Tell us about the best achievements/milestones.
My best achievement is completing my course in Social Work from the University of the West Indies and also, the establishment of my hair salon.
3. When did you realise you wanted to be a hairstylist?
I realised I wanted to be a hairstylist in primary school. At that time I used to braid people’s hair in the gallery of my childhood home. After finishing my academic studies, I decided to get certified by pursuing cosmetology training.
4. How do you stay abreast of the latest trends?
I stay abreast of the latest trends by always attending as many hair workshop/classes as I can. I also do so by reading and via social media.
What tips can you offer to us?
These are my tips are on hair colouring.
- Schedule a small consultation and at least one conditioning treatment prior to the colour service appointment.
- Bring photos to the consultation and be completely honest about all previous colour/chemical service.
- Don’t be in a hurry. Colour takes time. Plan for a longer than normal visit due to formulating, processing and toning.
- Establish a conditioning regimen and hair care appointments.
Instagram : @naturallykinkycurlyhaircare